Do You Need a Lawyer in the Special Needs Trust Beneficiary’s State?

 In Special Needs Planning

Photo by Paul Hanaoka on Unsplash


I am the trustee of my sister’s special needs trust. My sister lives in California. Is it necessary to have a special needs lawyer in California for administering trust related documents such as yearly expense reports etc.?


Yes, it makes sense at least to consult with a California special needs attorney because we don’t know what we don’t know. I’m not sure what reporting requirements there may be for whatever programs your sister is on in California, but a practitioner should be able to advise you. You can find special needs practitioners at


Related Articles:

Why Does My Daughter Receiving SSDI Have to Wait Two Years to Get Medicare?

Who Should Serve as Professional Trustee of Special Needs Trust?

Does My Daughter Need a Special Needs Trust If She’s Receiving SSDI?

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search