How Should Trustee Fees be Reported on Trust Income Tax Returns?

 In Trustee

Photo by XPS on Unsplash


When issuing a K-1 to a trustee of a decedent’s irrevocable trust for trustee fees, how should this be reported? Should it be reported as Other Portfolio and non-business income?


Actually, the trustee should not receive a K-1. K-1s are used for reporting trust income that passes through to beneficiaries. Payment of trustee fees constitute earned income to the trustee for which they should receive a 1099. The fees are also deductible on the trust income tax return, which could save some taxes, either for the trust or for the beneficiaries.

Related Articles:

Can a Trustee be Paid as a Gift and Not Incur Income Taxes?

Does Spouse Who Acts as Trustee Have to Report Her Trustee Fee?

Will Distributions from Our Parents’ Trust be Taxed?

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search