How Can I Get Guardianship Over Grandson in One State and Move Him to Another?

 In Guardianship and Conservatorship, Non-Traditional Families

Photo by Balazs Busznyak on Unsplash


If I live in New Hampshire and I want to get guardianship of my grandson who lives in California, how do I ask a California courts’ permission to start a guardianship in my state?


You can’t. Unfortunately, that’s going to be a several-step process. You will have to start by obtaining guardianship over your grandson in California. That’s because probate courts can only take jurisdiction over people in their own states. After you have been appointed guardian, you can move your son to New Hampshire and obtain guardianship over him in your state. You may have to seek explicit permission from a court in California to make the move. After the guardianship has been established in New Hampshire, you will be able to terminate the guardianship in California.


Related Articles:

What are Guardianship and Conservatorship?

Should I Get Guardianship for Son with Multiple Diagnoses When He Turns 18?

Can I be Paid to Care for My Disabled Grandson?

Can a Guardian Live Out-of-State?

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search