Can I be Paid to Care for My Disabled Grandson?

 In Special Needs Planning


I live in Ohio I am the maternal grandmother and guardian of a 13-year-old 100% handicapped grandson for 6 1/2 yrs due to a car wreck. He’s basically a vegetable. I do all his cares, including 20 meds a day, all housekeeping, over 500 doc appointments to date and all bathing and transfers.  I have enormous emotional support from grateful doctors and family. However, he receives SSI monthly. His father refuses to pay child support and the mother is in drug rehab. Both threaten to do away with him if I even file child support. Knowing they would carry out their threats I don’t file child support.  I was wondering whether there is any program that can help me with some kind of income so I can provide for him.

Photo by marianne bos on Unsplash


That sounds like an incredibly difficult situation. Since you’re grandson is receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), he also must have Medicaid coverage. There are at least two Medicaid programs that could provide you with payment for the services you provide your grandson: personal care attendant (PCA) or foster care. I do not know whether Ohio offers these services our how they are accessed there. I recommend contacting your local Medicaid agency and any local social service or disability organizations that may be able to advise you and help you apply.


Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search