Does Social Security Does Provide Benefits for Grandchild with a Disability?

 In Special Needs Planning

Photo by Andrew Lancaster on Unsplash


My grandson who is 8 years old has Dravet syndrome. How can I give him my benefits after I pass or split some with him while I am alive?


I assume you’re talking about Social Security benefits. Unfortunately, while Social Security provides benefits for disabled children, it does not for disabled grandchildren. So you cannot pass your benefits on to your grandson. You can, however, provide him and his family financial support during your life to the extent you can afford to do so. In addition, if you have savings or life insurance to pass on at your death, you can have those go to his parents or into a special needs trust for your grandson.

Related Articles:

Grandmother Probably Cannot Get Benefits for Caring for Disabled Grandson

Social Security Childhood Disability Benefit May Be Available to Granddaughter

Can I be Paid to Care for My Disabled Grandson?

Does My Daughter Need a Special Needs Trust If She’s Receiving SSDI?

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search