Can I Transfer My Assets in Guyana to My U.S.-Based Trust?

 In Non-US Citizens
Non-US-based assets

Non-US-based assets


I am a US citizen. I have assets in Guyana. My kids are US citizens. Can I set up a US trust and have my non-US assets added to it for my kids.


It sounds like you live in Guyana. You can certainly set up a trust, but you may not be able to transfer your non-U.S. assets into it. That would depend on the law of the country in which the assets are held, whether bank accounts, investments or real estate. For instance, if you own real estate in Guyana, whether you can transfer it into a trust would depend on Guyanese law, not U.S. law.

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search