Will 55-Year Old’s House Be Subject to Medicaid Estate Recovery Upon her Death?

 In Long-Term Care Planning, Real Estate

Photo by Wynand van Poortvliet on Unsplash


I am 55, live in New Jersey and received Medicaid. I have a 14-year-old child living with me. I own a house. If one day I pass away, will the state seek estate recovery for the money I used on doctor visits, prescription drugs, hospitals? How can I avoid the state to file a claim against upon my death?


Yes. Fifty-five is the magic age. The state can seek recovery of its expenses paid out for your medical care after age 55. In most states, the way to avoid this is to make sure the house avoids probate. You could transfer the house to a revocable trust that provides for you during your life, and which continues for your child after you have passed away. One caveat, however. This works in most states, but not necessarily in all states. You would have to consult with a local elder law or special needs planning attorney in New Jersey to make sure this strategy works there. You’ll need an attorney to draw up the trust in any case.


Related Articles:

Can Proceeds of Nursing Home Resident’s Home Sale be Protected from Medicaid Estate Recovery?

How Can I Protect Out-of-State Property from Medicaid Estate Recovery?

Is a Life Estate or Irrevocable Trust Better for Protecting my House from Medicaid Estate Recovery?

Are Trust Assets Subject to Medicaid Estate Recovery?

Does Caretaker Child Exception Apply to Estate Recovery?

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search